Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Time to Adjust During the Skid

The average grade in my class is an F, primarily because students didn't turn in their independent reading logs and failed the vocabulary test.  Time to adjust!  I thought that giving students a list of vocabulary words and meanings and then reviewing each day would be enough, but apparently it isn't.  I've decided to let students retake the test for half credit, but we are going to have a day of concept mapping the vocabulary words and entering them on the students' ipod that have a flashcard application. Lesson learned.

I also plan to have much more accountability for independent reading.  If students don't turn in their logs, I am going to have them phone their parents from my class phone to let the parents know about the outside reading requirement.  As Jonathan would say, "It's a stand and deliver moment!"

Students receiving an F in my class???  Not on my watch!!!

No comments: